My latest epic marathon of a quilt top has come to an end.
You may remember I started by hand-piecing honeycomb shapes.
My original inspiration had come from here.
For a while I had been wanting to make a kind of old-fashioned, antique looking quilt but with a mixture of traditional and modern fabric.
Just because really. A kind of modern heirloom quilt I think.
So I let it grow and grow, making up rounds as I went along.
And then in the last few weeks it grew and grew until it didn't want to grow any more.
If you're making your own medallion quilt there are ways around making sure each border fits. I mentioned in the previous post about this quilt how to break the Flying Geese blocks with larger pieces of fabric so you don't have to worry about fitting a particular sized block into a particular sized border.
I was also faced with the same dilemma with the final border in this quilt.
I could get my measurements to work for the shorter horizontal borders but for the longer vertical borders I was one inch too short.
There are 38 individual pieces in the longer border so all I did was piece eight of those pieces with a seam allowance that was 1/8th off the magic 1/4 inch...if that all makes sense. So cumulatively, that added up to the extra one inch I needed. And with the eight blocks randomly interspersed throughout each longer border, you'd never know.
|Linking up to Finish It Up Friday even though it's Saturday|
Next stop - the long, slow road of hand quilting this one as it's a bit of a whopper and I don't fancy wrestling it through the sewing machine.
I hope you like it Feroz Khan because this is your last chance to comment. Your inane spammy drivel was just the push I needed to switch to registered users only for comments.
Previous posts about this quilt are here and here and an explanation on hand-piecing the centre is here
to clear up any misunderstandings that this is EPP...which it's not!