Tuesday 14 June 2011

Woof Woof

(I resisted using that as a title for all of 30 seconds before caving in.)

A work colleague who sits next to me has been brewing a baby who was most definitely going to be needing a quilt. I wanted to use the new line from Laurie Wisbrun - Pooches and Pickups, except I didn't know if it was going to be a boy or a girl. I figured the odds were quite good so I took a punt and set to work on a 'boy' quilt.

I loosely based it on a pattern in Elizabeth Hartman's book which is a snowball block with several rounds. I thought it would be a good way to show off the fun prints.

To stop it getting too matchy matchy, I raided my scrap bin and used random bits of green and brown and black, making sure the prints were quite graphic and 'non-flowery.'

Kona Taupe is the plain fabric used throughout the quilt front



For the back I had some lovely Essex Linen in Putty with some random squares, which if I had been less random and more precise in my placement, would have lined up perfectly on the vertical line.



And my punt paid off, as baby Leon made his entrance into the world last week.


Just need to put a label on and then it is off to its new home.

14 comments:

  1. It's fabulous, lucky Leon! I am particularly taken with that cow print, cute but definitely boyish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky Leon indeed! Such a great boy quilt. There aren't enough of them out there and I am as bad as the rest for making girl quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fab boy quilt. And it is a boy quilt as opposed to just a baby quilt - meaning he'll be able to treasure that for a good few years!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leon is a lucky boy.

    I can't help wondering what you would have done if he was a girl?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cute! I love the colours and this block.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Was wondering when you were going to cut up some pooches. Did you buy as much as Tuffed Tweets? And how many quilts have now been enhanced with your cow fabric? I smile every time I see a scrap of it turn up ;)

    I like that Essex Linen, haven't tried it yet, keep meaning to order some for a quilt for my daughter's bday (which is in 3 weeks). How do you like my odds for that one??

    ReplyDelete
  7. How strange - I have just been attempting this block myself. Really cute quilt and so appropriate for a boy - Welcome to the world Leon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's lovely, what a lucky little boy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Baby Leon is a lucky boy. What a fabulous quilt! I really like the Taupe you've used. Great photos, love the one with the matching flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely gorgeous! Ahh - a lovely baby boy and a beautiful quilt. You`ve done a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the concentric snowballs. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks great! It's perfect for a boy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks great - I love the design and agree that the added colours stopped it being too matchy. Lucky baby boy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous! Looks like a wonderful little boy quilt!

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10