Sunday 4 December 2011

A Modern Whimsy quilt

I took the 'Park' colourway ( blue, pink, chartreuse green) of Laurie Wisbrun's new line Modern Whimsy and made this


If I had to describe why I like Laurie Wisbrun's fabric designs so much, it would be this: she makes fabric that is directional, in the sense that because she is depicting animals etc, they have to (in my opinion) go the 'right' way. You wouldn't buy a Masterpiece would you and then hang it upside down on your wall or at a jaunty angle? So the majority of her fabric, the animals, cars etc have to (for me) be placed a certain way.

And because I have to place them a certain way and because her designs are so different and interesting, it means I am looking for simple, bold quilt designs which will also show off the fabric. If the fabric is so striking, you don't (again,imo) want to do anything too complicated where the fabric gets lost in the design.

This time, I was inspired by this quilt...


...which came from this book


However, I didn't stick with the original design because I felt if all the shapes were the same size, it would detract from the Modern Whimsy fabrics which I wanted to be the stand out stars. So I modified it. I was also attracted to this design because instead of showing off the fabrics horizontally, this gives you a different look at them on the vertical.


The solids are a variety of Kona solids. The Kona Pomegranate in particular (the dark pink) I felt would be too overpowering if it was the largest size, so I scaled down the block into two smaller sizes to give little injections of contrasting colour as well as to add variety for the eye to flick over.



It's a whopper of a quilt. Added to which it has been blowing a hooley for the past few days and a check on the five day forecast shows no let up of the hooley so no washing line/outside photo opportunities for this one. Inside it must remain.


I always like those behind-the-scenes photo ops where you see how something was really shot. They do that on Frozen Planet on BBC1 at the moment where you got to see how they got the cameras so close to penguins launching themselves out of the water and belly flopping on to the ice.

Well here is my penguins belly flopping on to the ice moment ;-)

22 comments:

  1. Superb final pic, not only because of the pool!!
    I love these fabrics, and you have done them justice - those wonderful bunnies have been everywhere this weekend, except here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a great helper.
    There is nothing like the whole picture.
    Oh , I like the quilt too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's never as glamorous as it looks, is it?

    That is a lovely, fresh, modern quilt you have made.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your quilt and I really enjoyed that last photo :)
    Tell her she did a great job holding that up

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your new quilt! I always love your quilts! That's why I read your blog! This one really is a winner, I love how you changed up the pattern. Makes it much more appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your little helper!

    The design is perfect for these fabrics. I fully agree with the directional analysis, and love how you modified your inspiration design to make it more modern. The bit of sashing also really makes it pop. I am sure Laurie will be pleased!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow...I really like your version of it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your quilt, and thank you for sharing all your design thoughts and decisions! And I love your pool room and I am feeling a bit better that you don't have a perfect line for hanging quilts all set up and ready for a photo shoot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this quilt (the different sizes is such a good idea!) and the 'penguin flop' photo is fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wouldn't mind flopping my belly there!
    LOL
    I only like the cover quilt of that baker's dozen.
    I cannot even remember the one you were inspired by.
    I like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can't decide which I love best - the quilt or the final photo. Fab effort in both!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good to see your thought process thro this quilt - I like the mixture of scale, love the fabric (especially the chartreuse)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmm, lovely quilt! I have that book too! But best of all is the penguin belly flop shot! At least she didn't hit anyone on her way ( I hope!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fab quilt, I love the design, I have always been a fan of letting the fabrics sing which this one does. I really enjoyed your last very honest and balanced post on Bees too. The quilts you have made are lovely, I especially like the red white and black one .

    ReplyDelete
  15. it's so amazing - and to know that you got your inspiration from such a dark, traditional quilt...you just totally revamped it, and made it fresh and modern. i love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Like Sheila, I like that you shared your thought processes - I always forget to do that! Great job and I don't know that line of fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks like jewels to me! Love the colours and fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Stunning quilt & cute penguin! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have that book - but didn't even notice this pattern in it. Your quilt is so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just love this quilt! The fabrics are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10