Tuesday 3 September 2013

Honeycomb Hand Piecing

I've always thought I would like to make a quilt that was just beautifully quiet. I've been thinking about it long before the words 'low volume' were being bandied around in quilty internet land.

Several years ago I started collecting fabrics like these.



I think at the time these were all the rage the 'look' was called 'shabby chic.' I'm not really sure any more.

I have looked at them over the years thinking I would like to make a quilt with them but as time has passed I've also fallen out a little bit of love with them, thinking they were a wee bit boring and a little bit too safe.

Enter some more, hopefully 'different' fabric, to spice things up a bit. Still trying to keep with the same values but just to add a bit more of a zing.

Hopefully.



It's another hand-piecing project so this time I chose the honeycomb shape.

If it is to work successfully it requires a fair degree of accuracy.

So I cut myself a template.


I marked the intersecting corners 1/4" from the edge with a fine tip pen. I then took the little thingy (I have no idea what it is called. It was given to me during my very first quilt lesson), heated the end for about 20 seconds on a naked flame (I used my gas hob) and then centred it on to each pen mark, applied some gentle pressure which melted the plastic and allows you to push the end bit through to make your marking hole.

It's then a bit of a marathon to trace round the template (not forgetting to mark through the holes) and cut each individual piece out, especially if you choose to fussy cut as I did in some instances.



But once it started coming together it was definitely worth it.


I have no tips to impart on the technique for sewing honeycomb shapes together, other than to say it is Y seams all the way but really not difficult.

And this time, I do have a plan.

Linking up to WIP Wednesday


I'm going to make the honeycombs a sizeable central rectangle and then I'm going to make my own medallion quilt with lots of different rounds of who knows what.

That's my plan.

Edited to add: No, these are not EPP'd. I don't do EPP! They are just cut out and then I place the two pieces of fabric, right sides together, and sew from point to point with a small running stitch.

36 comments:

  1. I’m already in love with this quilt-to-be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! Love all the fussy cut pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty and different than what everyone else is making. And I love that honeycomb with the pants.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems like a pretty good plan to me. It's lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm looking forward to watching this one play out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the addition of your "different" fabrics. Great idea and it looks so interesting. This will be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohh what a wonderful plan! Looks great so far!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous plan! I love how you combine fabrics. You use prints I would never ever choose and make remarkable things.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sweet honeycomb hand piecing - Sew sweet! Love it! Thanks for sharing your method of making the template, too. Great post.... Can't wait to see what comes of your medallion idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you don't mind if I share this, with a link back, on my facebook page at http://facebook.com/sewfreshquilts.

      Delete
  10. It looks like a great plan, you are so good with colour.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's lovely... soft and gentle...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great plan. This is going to be so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You get more amazing every day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's beautiful and I like the plan, too. Can't wait to see what you come up with for the rounds.

    ReplyDelete
  15. love range of fabrics and love your honeycomb design, I presume you have sown them together in the EPP way

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow this is going to look stunning....well, it already looks stunning and you must have the patients of a saint to cut all of those honeycomb shapes can't wait to see what happens next.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your plan, am in awe of your hand sewing accuracy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't think you could possibly make a "boring" quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love reading your posts! There's always something that make me smile and something universal in your posts. Thank you:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I was very into the "shabby chic" look, too, and have plenty of things stashed away from that era. they're still lovely and it's fun how you mixed in the modern spice. what a labor of love to do all this!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hand piecing? I'm glad there are still people out there that are dedicated to this art. Maybe when my kids grow up and I don't feel like I'm in such a hurry all the time I'll give it a try. You chose some smart fabrics to pair with your shabby chics- That quilt will definitely have zing! Very, very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yes, to your ideas of a quiet project. Sometimes I'm in the mood and it lasts a long time when the spirit guides me. This is going to gorgeous! Do you a template to share?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just grab some graph paper and draw one for the size you fancy. It's very simple!

      Delete
  24. Lovely! Looking forward to seeing where you take this...

    ReplyDelete
  25. it's beautiful! (and that tool is an awl)

    ReplyDelete
  26. it's beautiful! (and that tool is an awl)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Simply gorgeous! You can't beat a bit of hand piecing and lots of y-seams as a relaxing pastime!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful and vintagey! The word bradawl comes to me for the pointy thing, but have no idea if that (or the spelling) is right?!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm loving the vintage vibe you have going on with the florals and smaller conversation prints. Great job pulling it altogether and making it look fresh and new.:)

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10