Monday 1 September 2014

Around The World Blog Hop

Being asked by Becca if I wanted to join in the Around The World Blog Hop meant a good enough reason to get out of my summer blog-less funk and post something.

I was tempted to say 'no' because I don't know that I have anything new to say that you haven't heard already but because it was Becca and because I like what she does and because I like the premise of finding out about what quilters are up to all around the world, I'm saying 'yes' and joining in.

Just don't expect any earth shattering revelations about me and quilting.

OK.

What am I working on?

Quilting this one.


I love it.

I love it so much I can't screw it up.

I can't do an all-over diagonal/straight line/cross-hatch.

I can't.

It deserves more.

So I have slowly, at an almost glacial pace, been fmq it bit by bit with as many different random designs as my head can think of.


Whatever I feel like, I am doing it.



And in the process I've discovered I don't really like quilting gloves.

I think it was a combination of the long, warm summer, taking a class with Philippa Naylor and a Craftsy one with Ann Petersen (neither of whom use quilting gloves) that made me give their preferred option of rubberised shelf liner a go.

And I like it.

A lot.

I feel more in control, my fingers don't get clammy and the whole process just feels more natural.


I've also started a new quilt, made predominantly from 60 degree triangles, with the colours inspired by this piece of fabric.


It's from Kathy Doughty's line A Wandering Mind and I just liked the colours on this feature fabric.

So I've cut up a whole hot mess of other fabrics to add in and am just playing around with ideas.


I don't have a plan.


I'm kind of making it up as I go along.

That could be a metaphor for life.

And finally, I'm going to make a dent in this tower of Soy Amado quilt blocks.

Yes, I did succumb and buy a whole bolt of Nummers because, well, it's a rite of passage for a true quilter.

It's sat there for the best part of the summer and it needs to be turned into quilts.


How does my work differ from others in its genre?
This is where it gets boring.

I have absolutely no idea.

Does it differ?

I'm just doing what I'm doing.


Why do I create what I do?
That's an easy one.

With quilting there are no defined rules. You can make what you want, how you want. You can follow a pattern or make it up as you go along. You can use one colour or a hundred and one. You can use old fabric, new fabric and at the end of your process you'll still have created a quilt that is completely unique and (hopefully) an expression of you.

It's a chance to get lost in a creative process that slows me down, relaxes me and allows me to get subsumed in the enjoyment of the process than necessarily the end result.

It's an opportunity to give something that can't be bought.

An opportunity to give a bit of myself to someone else.


How does my creative process work?
It's completely random.

It may start with fabric, with colour, with an idea for a pattern, with the need to try a commercial pattern and see if I can make it my own.

It's an exercise in pushing myself to just do something different.

I don't want to plan a quilt. I don't want to map it out beforehand. I don't want to calculate the fabrics I'll need (because secretly I want to run out half way through and push myself to use something different and take the quilt in another and unexpected direction). I don't want to think about what it will look like when it is finished because I don't really have that idea in my head when I start.

I just want to start with the kernel of an idea and see where it leads.

To play around.

To just have fun.


And those, I believe, are all the questions answered. I'm supposed to link to three more quilters to keep this going but I'm not linking to anyone specifically. Instead, if you'd like to join in, please feel free to start your own Around The World Blog post.

In the meantime, I suppose I should be doing something about this.




*I don't know where the Around The World Blog Hop originated. If anyone knows, please say as it would be good to link up with others doing this too and share.





25 comments:

  1. My room look like yours :) Beatyful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you hold the quilt with the rubbery stuff? Your quilting looks beautiful and so does your sewing room (in an entirely different way).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful quilts, especially that first one so good luck with your FMQ. And thank you for posting your photo of your sewing space, I don't feel quite so bad about mine now, just a shame it's in my kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My FMQ heroine Trudi from http://trudi-quiltingprolifically.blogspot.com does that as well! I'm more comfortable with my gloves.
    It might all look very random and without planning, but I suspect it's intuitive quilting!
    You quilt from within!
    That (nearly) makes you a goddess
    (how about that domestic one?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My room is way worse than yours, but a creative person has a chaotic room. Your idea of the shelf liner is interesting. Will have to try it. Scraps are forever. Chris

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your craft room. It looks like the inside of my head ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Third time trying to comment: dumb program keeps deleting them as I sign in/preview. This is the briefest. Love the quilt and quilting. Sewing room is bright and happy. Want to see remodel. Never have bought IKEA fabric, but I love it. Enjoy the rest of summer. You're the best!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad to see you again. I love your quilt.

    Thank you for sharing your sewing room; it makes me feel better because mine looks very much like that.

    I'm insanely jealous over the bolt of Nummers. I couldn't find so much as a scrap of it at either of the Ikea's near me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am just learning to FMQ and Trudi Wood suggested the shelf liner stuff too. I think wearing gloves in a humid environment can't be great.
    I love your process of creativity - I hate thinking about whether I have enough fabric before I start a quilt as well - I like to just start with a vague plan in mind and hope for the best!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I laughed out loud at the picture of your sewing room! What a wonderful mess. I have been following you for a few years, and yes your work does differ from other quilters. It is so unique and fabulous that I stop by regularly for my "ooh aaaaaw" moments of inspiration : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your sewing room! Thanks for being so real. I'm weary of photos of perfectly organized and tidy sewing rooms. This is the real deal! PS I agree with Carla's comment: yes, your quilting is different than others, and in a very special and wonderful way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had trouble with a couple of the blog hop questions too! Especially the how is your work different? How the heck should I know? :)
    And I guess I'm a true quilter now, since I bought a whack of that Ikea Numbers fabric back in July!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's nice to see what you are working on, I love the quilting you are doing. I also love your sewing room, mine often looks similar.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love both your quilts in progress. I am curious about the rubber place mat thing. And I am most jealous of the whole bolt of Nummers. We have been told that it is discontinued over here in Canada land and all the Ikeas are out of it. Pretty much.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I too cannot stand to use those gloves!

    I love how you can take randomness and make it beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow glad to see a post, it had been a while! You answered those questions in a way that sounds as if I answered them! You make great quilts, and your sewing room looks the way they are supposed to look until you walk in one day and you have to clean some, thats the way it works for me! I had to laugh about the part where you mentioned your free motion quilting and that you do what you want on it, thats the way I go, I could not imagine doing a quilt all in the same pattern I would go nuts! Keep up the good, caring work that is "Soy Amondo"! Laura from Austin!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Helloooo Alison! I've been checking in hoping for new posts and hoping you've been doing well and enjoying summer. I was honestly about to send you an email enquiring when I logged on today and saw your fun post. LOVE the quilt you'e creating! And I love that you're taking the time with its quilting. Hope you plan to keep this one for yourself!

    That's quite the tower of Soy Amado blocks... I almost feel guilty sending you more. I have 30+ in progress and a ton of the short front and back joining strips, as well as binding leftovers (those are mostly from a friend in my mod guild). Do you still want them? It may be a month or so before I get to finishing and packing them up for their long journey to you....

    I am also interested in how you use the rubberized shelf liner. A piece in each hand, on top of the quilt?

    THANKS for the photo of your sewing space. Mine is worse. I can't do another thing in there until I clean it up! Doesn't help that in addition to all my piles of fabrics of different sizes laying about everywhere, I just had to empty a large dest and threw those items all over the remaining bits of floor space. Desk is being donated to a great cause and I will eventually have a large design wall. But lots to do in the meantime!

    Welcome back!! I think you've been missed by many !

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, did Blogger eat my comment?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your quilt is beautiful I want to run off with it! Can't wait to see it finished. Did a bomb go off in your work room? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's been lovely reading more about you Alison! I think I'm a bit like you, I don't always have things all mapped out and calculated, and usually end up running out of fabric and having to buy more! Wow those Soy Amado blocks are piling up aren't they. And isn't your sewing space fabulous, most definitely a very well loved space!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great post A. And snap on the sewing room - mine pretty much always looks like that. I've given up even trying to pretend I'm an organised person ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  22. That one and it's quilting are stunning stunning. Loved reading this post-as always! Also liked seeing your sewing room, which may not be dissimilar to mine in decoration!

    ReplyDelete
  23. BTW I know "it" doesn't have a possessive apostrophe, but auto correct keeps doing it! Grrr!

    ReplyDelete
  24. All good but I just had to breath a sigh of relief and say that I LOVE YOUR SEWING ROOM!!!!! It is many labours of love and the way I see it you have stuff to hand so that you don't have to rummage for it! I have a square for you...where do I send it to please? (karen.compton@hotmail.com) Thanks xxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. You be er disappoint Alison! I love what you do.

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10