I needed a random colour explosion after the previous project.
I had absolutely no idea what kind of quilt I was going to make, other than it needed to be colourful and I pulled a lot of fabrics.
Once I pulled them I started cutting them up into 5" squares while I pondered what to do.
Then I started chain piecing them into pairs.
Then I sewed two pairs together to make a four patch.
After which, I placed two four patch sets together - right sides facing - and pinned on all the matching seams.
NOTE: You must be accurate pinning these matching seams together because this will form the centre point of the new blocks this method will create - four points will meet here.
Using a 1/4" seam allowance, I sewed round all four edges.
Next, I rotary cut across the diagonal, making sure I went exactly through the centre.
Or as exactly as you can get - it's more important you are exactly slicing through the beginning and the end points, as the centre point actually becomes the end of each block...you'll see later.
It helps if you have a rotating cutting mat so you can turn it round to do the opposite diagonal.
Either way, you are left with four of these.
Which when pressed open, become four of these.
Then it was really just a question of playing around with the blocks till I found something I liked.
Most of the different fabrics I left random but I did make sure I made the leopard print and some of the other blocks whole squares, just for more visual impact.
|Linking up to Finish It Up Friday|
Definitely feel I am back in my happy zone now.