Monday 13 March 2017

The Spellbound Quilt

It has been ages since I've made a really simple strip pieced quilt. Combine that fact with the fact I'm a bit of a sucker for speciality rulers that make a quilt look harder than it really is and I decided to join in with The Fat Quarter Shop Spellbound Quilt A Long.

The pattern calls for a couple of jelly rolls plus additional fabric. I had a bit of a jelly roll lurking but nothing more.

I therefore added to it with scraps which, for me, makes the best kind of quilt anyway.

You'll also need one of these:



You're then using it to make quarter-square triangles from strip pieced fabric and that is about as difficult as it gets.

The resultant quilt top, in my wholly biased opinion, is really rather nice.



I appreciate it's not my normal mad cacophony of colours but I think I like this one even more for that fact.







The colour this time is brought to you naturally by a crocus explosion, finally signalling spring is on its way.



12 comments:

  1. It's gorgeous, like a marble tessellated floor. That block layout is an old favourite of mine, and you've made it work really well with your fabrics. Love your work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. I guess I missed that QAL. I will have to try it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the mix of sharp and blurred edges. Very attractive quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all the dots you've used in the quilt and that ruler looks very useful! The crocus are gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's lovely; what a great effect from strips and triangles. Your fabric choice is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In spite of the lack of "cacophony" I love this quilt. The flowers make me just a bit jealous as I look out my window at a late winter snowstorm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you, it is really rather nice. It's good to see a post from you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful quilt and I really like the colors you used!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh... all those dots! Love the fabrics you chose and how the quilt turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful quilt and beautiful setting for showing it off. Nancy A: rangerer@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  11. it is just wrong that you have SO many crocus in your area..... we still have snow on the ground and the temperature at the moment is -8 celsius. (not that i'm complaining about our weather - we love winter..and snow.... ) i'm simply envious of the abundance of crocus you are close to.
    lovely quilt by the way!!!!
    xo
    eva
    quilltered@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this quilt! And share your enthusiasm for gadgets that actually do interesting things! I'm just going to sit here and stare at the picture of spring crocuses for a while and avoid looking at all the snow outside!

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10