All it is, is strips of fabric (didn't matter about the width), sewn together to create an 8 1/2" square. Then I used the curved ruler to take out a section on either side. Took some black and white fabric 8 1/2" x 3", cut the corresponding missing wodges out of that and sewed them back on to the coloured squares.
Randomly placed in so much as I tried to get an even spread of colour throughout the quilt and the blocks alternate vertical and horizontal with the strips.
I still can't quite work out though how I seem to have more and not less scraps at the end of this exercise in scrap busting.
I've reached a hiatus now as I consider whether to make it bigger, add a border of some sort, or finish it as is.