It started out innocently enough with the parallelogram shape on the Accuquilt Go! Baby cutter.
I thought I'd crank out a few and see where it led me.
But then it became rather addictive so I carried on.
Which is not always a good idea because once I got past the third round (dark blue flower fabric) it ceases to be scrap friendly. By that I mean that up to and including the blue fabric you can get away with just a fat quarter of fabric which all quilters will probably have.
Thereafter you are looking at 1/2 a yard of fabric and by the time I got to the outer round it was a yard and only then by sewing the little itty bitty scraps together to squeeze out those last few parallelograms.
Of which there are over 300.
The colours were based purely on the centre fabric which was my starting point. I didn't want there to be too much contrast between each round so if I turn the above picture into black and white you can hopefully seen what I mean.
Theoretically it shouldn't work because in the black and white version many of the rounds do not show enough contrast with their neighbours. Yet in colour it works (for me) because the colours are so different.
The top was completed in about November last year I think.
Then it became a 'downstairs' hand-quilting project.
I know I could have finished it a whole lot sooner if I had machine quilted it but that would be missing the point of how much I enjoy hand quilting...including double outlining each of the 300 plus parallelograms.
The border has organic (read: not marked) straightish lines which is nice and mindlessly, effortlessly relaxing.
The technical term for the size of this quilt is a whopper.
It is intended for a very nice person whose exuberant and inspiring personality is, I hope, reflected in this quilt.
As an end of term gift.
Say no more.
The back is just the same piece of fabric, spliced together to make it wide enough.
I have thoroughly and completely enjoyed making this one.
(Linking up to Lee's WIP Wednesday even though this isn't one any more)