I pushed on and was left with no option but to tackle the trickier blocks.
This one is Block 5 and I managed to piece the circle into the middle rather than using the applique.
Then Block 9 with lots of fiddly, tiny pieces.
Block 7 which isn't the prettiest inset circle but I did it and that is enough for me at the moment.
But I must have learnt something because Block 2 had two inset circles and I'm really happy with how this one turned out.
And finally, Block 4, which has a whole Flickr post devoted to it because others have found it tricky with the really tight Y seams. I did too and again, it's not perfect but I think I gave up on perfection abut the second block on so again, it will do. Plus, when it's all made up and washed you won't be able to tell which wrinkles are 'washed' wrinkles and which are 'not quite perfect' wrinkles.
So goes my theory.
It has been a huge learning curve (no pun intended) and has at times taken me way out of my quilting comfort zone but it's good to do that from time to time.
So that makes all 16 blocks.
However, big girl pants have arrived, almost got them on and then I shall start tackling four new blocks to make it up to a 20 block rectangular shaped quilt which I much prefer.
In the meantime, here are all 16 blocks.