Saturday 1 September 2012

Adding interest

I wanted to make a quick baby quilt for a new arrival due in the next few weeks.


It was quick but it left me feeling slightly 'ho-hum' about it and on further reflection I think those solid columns of pinky red are too wide.

Having been inspired by the quilting Krista had done on my quilt in the previous post, I decided to see if I could get a bit more creative with this one.


If you are curious to know what the  Empress Mills cotton thread sews like, I used it as the quilting thread and it (imo) adds a really nice definition and texture.

You can probably see the quilting better on the back....



It's going to be a Dutch baby, so some obligatory bikes and houses that remind me of Amsterdam canal houses...even if it did say NYC on the selvedge.



And on this occasion, I  actually prefer the back.

Ho hum!

23 comments:

  1. It is a really fun quilt and I love the way you experimented with the different quilting. Makes for a fun back indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's lovely! I'm sure the new parents will love it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that adorable donkey with galoshes fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leuke stoffen en een vrolijke quilt. Leuk dat de nieuwe ouders straks kunnen kiezen welke zijde ze boven willen. Ze zijn beiden erg leuk!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great quilting. I prefer the back too! That house fabric is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the donkeys with boots!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, reversible quilt! I really like the back too but those donkeys are very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oohhh, I'm really feeling this one! My eyes keep moving around and my brain is wondering how you chose the fabrics--I see so many different designers as well an an interesting concoction of print size and shape. The Wordplay is truly unexpected and I think it plays up the modernity of this quilt. Last but certainly not least, the pops of green energize the quilt yet tone down the hot pink. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. cute quilt, I love experimenting with quilying on small quilts

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like both siides and the quilting is fab!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great quilt! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think you are being hard on yourself. They all can't involve technical olympics like your last few quilts! Simple is good too. I like how you jazzed it up with the quilting and I agree- I love the back. Not ho hum...hi ho! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Both sides are good and will be appreciated I'm sure! Love the FMQ - it is disgusting how you are so good at everything!

    ReplyDelete
  14. New to you . Love your quilts and where you live!
    Roberta

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's great both sides, but unless you sew on a label who's to say which is the back? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very sweet. Love your combination of colors and cute fabrics! The quilting brings it all together into one very adorable quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely baby quilt - your used the fabrics superbly. And the quilting is darling. The baby will grow to treasure it I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are silly, it is beautiful. Imagine that quilt wrapped around a brand new sweet smelling baby, just perfect. And all the beautiful fun stitching will keep mom and baby amused as they sit together. Not ho hum at all.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! This is a beautiful quilt. I LOVE the little horses in wellies, so unique! x

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10