Saturday 29 September 2012

Pattern Testing

Jenny, of the Quick Curve Ruler fame has a sister Helen who, like Jenny, is also a long-arm quilter.
She's also started designing quilt patterns using Jenny's ruler and when she put a shout out for pattern testers I stuck my hand up.

This is her Deco Zig Zag pattern.


It reminds me of a 'mermaids purse' but maybe that's just me.


Either way, it was extremely enjoyable to sew - the pattern is very well written.

It is fat quarter friendly (two blocks from each FQ) but I chose to make it from random scraps of turquoise blue, mainly because I had some light turquoise linen knocking around that I wanted to use for the background. It wasn't quite enough so I interspersed it with a Kona cotton in a similar colour.

The claret block I put in just because I thought it would add a bit more interest. I think I'll probably hand-quilt round each block with Perle cotton, machine quilt the rest of the negative space and bind it in a claret colour too.
Pssst..2nd row up from bottom, far left...that's a Batik with sparkly bits in it...reckless or what ;-)

14 comments:

  1. I love it ! I see Mermaid's purses too and yes you are wantonly reckless but we love that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really lovely. I love the touch of claret.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really fun and I love the claret block. I went off to find out what a mermaid's purse was and of course you are right. I bet that they wash up on your beaches but I have never seen one in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely quilt. I was just checking out all the patterns. You certainly have done a great job testing this one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely Mermaid's Purses - I love the claret block!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this and love Helen's new pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous! and yes it reminds me of mermaids purses too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sparkly batik!!?? - oh I can't look you in the eye ever again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE your quilt! Thanks for testing the pattern and doing such a great job! I love the claret one too! Very adventurous... Helen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely! Exciting! You really did a great job with a great new pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your version of this pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this pattern! So unusual, I don't think I've seen one like it before. I love your use of colour - it reminds me of waves in the sea. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like this design. Love your color choice.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, did you see this http://sewkatiedid.wordpress.com/2012/10/07/krista-withers-quilting/ I'm pretty sure it's your quilt, it looks fantastic.
    Hugs
    deb xxx

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10