Friday 4 November 2011

Sneaking in under the wire...

....for Amy's Bloggers Quilt Festival.


When I noticed on Monday that the Festival was on I had nothing new to show you.

However, there were two reasons to see if I could churn something out by today:
  • Ella-Sofia born on 19 October and quiltless!
  • I was the lucky winner of one of these:

It had been sat patiently to one side for a couple of weeks while life got in the way.

So on Monday evening I opened it up and cranked through a bunch of 2 1/2" squares. In retrospect I should have cranked through the 4" square that came on the same die for a quicker outcome.

And fast it does go. I didn't have any wastage to speak of that others have commented on and I only have two small slight concerns.


The deposit of yellow that appears on the roller (top of picture) and on the board that you crank it out onto. To me that means two things are making such close contact that something is rubbing off something and in the long term I'm not sure that is ideal. I'd be grateful to hear if anyone else has experienced this as well.

And the second thing is this:


This is the plastic mat that you put over your fabric and die before cranking it through the roller. I have made just one small baby quilt, moved the position of the plastic mat around as the instructions tell you to do but already the mat is quite significantly indented. Again, I'm not sure that bodes well for longevity of use.

However, in terms of speed and the ability it gives you to quickly cut potentially difficult shapes (I'm going to test the Drunkards Path die next) I think it is a winner.

Anyway, I didn't intend this to be a review of the Go! Baby. So what did I make?
You can click on it for a larger view if you like.
Once you've cut your squares they all go together perfectly (more perfectly than if I had been let loose with a rotary cutter and mat) and it sews up fairly quickly. The light is a bit pants this morning and doesn't show off (imo) the beautiful colours.

Again, please feel free to click on this one.

Quilting was just following either side of all the seams to make a grid pattern with my walking foot and stitch length set to 3.20 on my Bernina.

As it is a small(ish) baby quilt I was able to get away without having to piece the back and just used some fabric to hand.



It will hopefully be with Ella-Sofia this weekend when we pay our first visit.


As usual, I am now off to see what everyone else has been up to.

29 comments:

  1. Adorable - glad you got it into the Festival!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful quilt! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely that is! I'm sure Ella-Sofia (what a pretty name!) will drag it everywhere after her once she begins to toddle!

    Hazle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilt is so soft and pretty, perfect for a brand new baby!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely quilt. I have hardly used my Go Baby! and haven't noticed the yellow staining. I have been concerned about the protective mats though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great quilt. Susan - canadian abroad - had a problem like that with her mat and got on to the makers who sent a replacement. She's also recently had her go replaced because something like your first issue was causing a problem on hers. I think maybe some of them are faulty...go and check out her blog posts about it all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! I love the prints you choose. "pants"??! You Brits are so funny. :)

    I just borrowed a friend's Go! and whipped out a bunch of HSTs. Very nice - I love how the corners are trimmed off.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ella- Sofia is such a pretty name deserving of such a soft pretty quilt!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. jolie harmonie des roses, superbe réalisation

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad to see that you broke 'er in! Now get cracking ont he DP quilt along, eh!

    This is very, very cute. I am sure it will be well loved! Love the backing fabric as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd definately write the manufacturer to send photos and complaints about the product - that does not look like it should be doing that

    I love your quilts. You are just making some beautiful ones....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice! What a lovely gift for the new baby!

    I have the original GO! and I have had the same issue with the mats. Actually, I used the small DP die on it and during the cutting process my mat cracked...yikes! It was the first time I had used that mat so I am a little disappointed. It was SO much faster and much more accurate so still worth it, even if I have to buy another mat. Smiles~Beth

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous quilt! Have you read Susan's (Canadian Abroad) posts about her Go baby? She had similar issues, think Bethann (comment above) could do with complaining about her mat too...hope it gets resolved!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great quilt! Very Kaffe-ish, I think. And quick! I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love how you've used the fabrics together. Lovely design.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A delightful quilt! And it matches Ella-Sofia's name.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful quilt! Love the colors and fabrics!
    I, too, wanted to tell you about Susan (canadian abroad) and her problems with the go! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just beautiful. I need to use my go more. I have not had any problems but I shall be aware as I hope to cut out a quilt next weekend!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the colours and design that showcases them beautifully. (lucky you winning a Go, will be interested to see what else you do with it and how it lasts)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very pretty. And what fun to use a new tool.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very pretty and yes after a bit of a battle Susan has a new go! http://canadianabroad-susan.blogspot.com/2011/10/new-stuff.htm

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a beautiful quilt! Great job with the colors :-) interesting observations about the Go! Cutter. Thanks for sharing your experiences. I don't have one myself, but I'm interested in it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. That is so lovely. My particular favourite quilt is anything with squares, but I hadn't thought to put them on point. I think I'll try this soon!
    deb

    ReplyDelete
  25. I totally missed the festival this time :( Oh well...

    Anyways, very glad that you will be joining the DP QAL!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love your quilt! The fabrics are so fabulous, what a great mix. I had heard that the plastic mat will need replacing on the go but I have no experience there.

    ReplyDelete
  27. oh my goodness i love how turning the squares on point makes a simple quilt amazing. this is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  28. Amazing - what a great way to get to know your Go Baby!

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10