Wednesday 9 November 2011

Works In Progress

I've never really done a Works In Progress (WIP) post before, mainly because I've always thought it would be dull as dishwater for you to see bits of random fabric floating about the place and also mainly because I am generally a one-project-on-the-go-at-any-one-time kind of a person.  I am always astounded when people rattle off a working list of a half dozen or so projects at any one time.

Although I do have two projects on the go at the moment I treat them as one; one upstairs, one downstairs.

The one coming together in my sewing room at the top of the house is being assembled by machine and is part of the Drunkard's Path Quiltalong on Flickr being hosted by Kristie and Kate. It's not too late if you want to join in now. So this is my Upstairs Quilt.

I went scrappy.


Full on scrappy really.


To the point where I am thinking that the best layout will be to make the Drunkard's Path with the circle pattern.
There are so many different permutations but I felt unless I had gone less scrappy and made a greater definition between dark and light, some of the patterns made would get lost.


My Downstairs Quilt is always some portable hand-piecing and at the moment is a BOM (Block of the Month) except in my case it isn't a BOM but a BAAO (Blocks All At Once). My sister lives a 10 minute drive from here so on her recent visit to me she brought me the whole 10 months worth of blocks.

So far I have hand pieced this...



...and this...


...which might look familiar to you because I used the templates provided to make this...


I have plans to change the BOM slightly as there is an appliqued centre medallion which I want to swap for a Mariners Compass type block.

It is a slow but enjoyable progress.

And that's it. Quite restrained really isn't it?!

I am going to link this to Lee at Freshly Pieced who is celebrating a whole year of Wednesday WIPs.

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced


Click on the link to see loads and loads and loads of WIPs...it's quite good therapy if, like me, you feel your WIPs are a little on the small size.


PS. To those of you who have left comments in the last 24 hours and I have not replied, there is an island-wide problem with our email server and no one is able to access their emails at the moment.

35 comments:

  1. Love those hand pieced blocks. I never really did any hand piecing. Might have to try it some day. Especially if you can get blocks like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stitching - loving the BAAO - impressed by those points!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cushion is absolutely stunning. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been a very long time since I was working on only one project at a time! Those hand pieced blocks are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I envy those who can only do one project at a time: finish what you're doing and then, and ONLY then, start a new one. I start to protest as soon as I hear anything sounding like MY MOM ... I know, I'm not perfect.
    Anyway, the upstairs is scrappy indeed; your idea to do them in circles light/dark is a great one.
    The downstairs one is lovely, beautiful and HANDMADE.
    Did you know there are actually quilters who still stay a quilt should be handmade ONLY.
    Unbelievable ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boy, you sure do like to tackle those curves don't you? You are brave! I like the really scrappy drunkard's path. And there's nothing wrong with only have a few WIPs, less stress of getting it all done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing gift to get - your handpieced blocks are beautiful and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your sister has a great LQS!! Love your hand-pieced blocks - they remind me of the Camelot pattern that I`m going to hand sew.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your hand piecing is amazing! I like the direction of your drunkard's path, too. :)

    Mary
    http://www.quiltgenius.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a boatload of scrapiness! Did you use the GO! or templates? Templates scare me. Very true - very scared. I need to suck it up, but not until Feb or March.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay! I think your scrappy DP circles are coming together great. Look at you, all fast and in the game after being on holiday! So glad you are cranking out pieces and joining in. Any more yellow guck??

    And I LOVE your BAAO work- and the definition made me giggle :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love those handquilted blocks - the fabric and color choices are beautiful! I'm also doing the DP quilt along, and it's so neat to see how different people are approaching it - my quilt is just two solids, but I love the riot of awesome color in your scrappy version. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like the all out scrappy approach to the DP QAL :) And I'm seriously impressed with your hand piecing blocks. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have done fabulous hand quilting on the pillow. I also like the look of your curve blocks at the beginning of your post.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I LOVE the scrappy look! It's gonna look fab! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your BAAO blocks and the scrappy DP blocks, can't wait to see how they both develop! I also tend to have an upstairs (machine) and downstairs (hand) project on the go!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats on your first WIP posting! I love your drunkard's path scrap quilt and agree with your circle layout, it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  18. that pillow is awesome! i love the SK fabrics in there!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really like the scrappiness of your drunken circles! Fun projects and hand sewing.. so nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really love both projects! And your sister is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great work! I'm so impressed by your curves!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, those hand pieced blocks are stunning! And your scrappy drunkard's path circles are just lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. that cushion is beautiful!! one the swirly circle

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely stuff! I am desperate to make a drunkards path circle quilt like your upstairs quilt! I will enjoy watching yours come together in the meantime.

    ReplyDelete
  25. The handpieced blocks are stunning - really are.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, I'm in awe of the hand piecing! Love that cushion too :o)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I don't think I would be successful trying to sew the circle squares.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow, you do all that hand piecing? Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ooh, the Drunkard's Path is so subtle! I rather like it!

    Love the hand-piecing!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Well, that is full-on scrappy all right! i love it! And those circle blocks are just incredible. Thanks for linking up to WIP Wednesday. : )

    ReplyDelete
  31. I think full-on scrappy is just great!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I truly love the scrappy look of the drunkard's path quilt! You have inspired me to check out the QAL since yours is turning out so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  33. the scrappy drunkards path is so awesome.

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10