Friday 7 July 2017

Flying Geese...and other stuff

First up are these Flying Geese blocks which I made using Triangles on a Roll - foundation paper pieced for total accuracy. That is, until, I took the paper off and added the edge triangles and then I successfully managed to lob a few of the ends off.

Impressive huh?

Add caption
There's a very good video from The Fat Quarter Shop which clearly shows you how to assemble the block.

I have vaguely decided I'm doing some sort of rainbowish quilt and so far have made two blocks. They're a generous 17.5" each in size though, so it won't take many to make a decent sized quilt.

Then of course, I've made some more Soy Amado quilts.

No.'s 120, 121 and 122.

And there was a new delivery - this time to children in Entebbe, Uganda, who don't even have the basics of bedding.

I've continued to knit.

The pattern was chosen by youngest daughter who wanted something big and warm to wrap around her on beach summer evenings. It's called the Sick Day Half Pi Shawl (on Ravelry) and I'm knitting it in Wensleydale SheepShop Aran - purely because it was in a sale and I need to factor in teenagers leave things on beaches and it may become a casualty and I didn't want to spend oodles on it.

Regardless of that, one of the balls had a knot in it which manifested itself when I was half way across a row. I carried on which was a big mistake. The knot came undone and consequently so did my knitting. I was not hugely impressed.

This is now on hold though as the shawl has not been deemed big enough and the manufacturer isn't dying any for another month.

Which is ideal really because now I'm knitting the Bentley Cardigan in a gorgeous green from Sherwood Yarns.

And I also knitted a Border Ballad (again, all these patterns on Ravelry) in Amano Yarns Warmi.

Back on the quilting I took this long forgotten hand piecing and turned it into a sewing machine cover. It's called Vortex, requires you to cut out individual pieces with plastic templates and was quite interesting to do. I just got a bit bored of the limited colour palette I chose.

And I finally finished all the blocks for my Pickled Fish quilt and sewed them all together. There's still a border to come on this one though.

I really enjoyed selecting a disarray of fabrics for this one.

And that, for the moment, is that.
01 09 10