Monday 31 January 2011

Tufted Tweets: The Trilogy

Part One is here.
Part Two is here.

I still had quite a bit of Tufted Tweets left over (and I only bought 1/2 yard cuts of each fabric) and kind of wanted to see if I could incorporate them all into one quilt. I feel very purist about Tufted Tweets though and feel it would be an affront to their beauty if I up-ended or reversed any of the fabrics - they all have to be the right way up for me.

But I'd done circles, squares and triangles and was looking for something a bit different. Cue Leila in my A Twist On Tradition Flickr bee who started a discussion on where we get inspiration for blocks from. Clearly a bit of a dinosaur, I mentioned a couple of books whereas she mentioned Quilters Cache and Quiltivate both of which I had never heard of before.

So I had a mooch around both sites and on Quilter's Cache saw this and immediately had a lightbulb Tufted Tweets moment.


For those who didn't click on the Quiltivate link - it is paper-pieced. I did it the slow, tedious way of printing off a copy of the pattern and then hand-copying it by hand using a light-box...bought for peanuts on Ebay btw.

I've been very good and kept all the chairs the proper way, except for one block I have deliberately up-ended just to mix things up a little. See if you can spot it!

If you are interested, I used Kona Tan and Ash.

I'm going to hand-quilt this one for no other reason than I have a lot of hanging around at dance rehearsals (not mine) the next couple of weeks and as I am a woman I can multi-task by gossiping  exchanging important information and quilting at the same time.

And that really is it now, I am all Tufted Tweets out. However, I still have a small bag left over.
 I am more than happy to spread some Tufted Tweets love to someone who would like to make something with these scraps.

If you are interested, I would like something in return please - a recommendation.

Here is the pile of books that is currently beside my bed.


I'm currently half the way through The Help and am really enjoying it. If you'd like the Tufted Tweets scraps, please leave a comment with a book recommendation for me to add to my pile. Doesn't have to be new and just out. Just something that you thought was such a good read. I'd love to hear why.

I'll leave this open until the end of the week and then randomly pick a comment.
If it helps, I like fiction and non-fiction books that leave me thinking...

12 comments:

  1. Would love your scraps!

    I really enjoyed The Art of Racing in the Rain. It has lot of messages and themes through out the book, from the dog's perspective. Sometimes sad, but very uplifting too. Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love , love this version of your TT. It pops even better here in wee bits, I think. Glad you got to use it one more time.

    I woudl feel quilty to take more scraps from you, but I can't resist the chance to talk books. Have only read the Three Cups of Tea from your above pile (which, in all honestly, was a bit dull for all the hype, though I do appreciate what he set out to do!). My favorite fiction of all time is a book called "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein (http://www.amazon.ca/Art-Racing-Rain-Garth-Stein/dp/1554681723) and is the story of a man told from the perspective of his dog. You don't need to be an animal lover to also love this book, I give it regularly as a gift and it is always raved about! And of course I have been proding you to read " The Guernsey Lit....." for a long time! For non-fiction, I tend to like Holocost novels, and tiny book with a big impact is called "Night" by Elie Weisel (http://www.amazon.ca/Night-Elie-Wiesel/dp/0374500010/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1296484508&sr=1-4).

    I have a huge stack on my nightstand as well, usually I read a ton but I have been distracted since Christmas and need to get into it again!
    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! Lisa got to the point much faster and snuck her domment in while I was still typing and recommended the same book. See, it's good :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd also love your scraps! I love the way you've managed to squeeze 3 quilts from the one line :)

    I'm going to recommend 'Affinity' by Sarah Waters. It's set in the late 19th century and deals with spiritualism, intrigue, love and multiple double-crossings. I read it the other year mostly whilst sat by a log fire.

    @Kristie - I second your recommendation of 'Night' by Elie Weisel. I bought mine in a second hand bookshop that contained a newspaper clipping with a photo of her in it. Added to its poignancy for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love this block/quilt. amazing.
    the book i would recommend is The Amazing Adventures of Cavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon. its my favorite and a fantastic read.

    thanks for a chance!
    --cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore this quilt! It looks so much better than the block on that website. Makes me realize I need to really envision colours and combinations and think a little deeper when perusing blocks. Stunning!

    I think I love that door equally though. Is that wrong? Is that up for grabs? ;-)


    My recommendations is by a Canadian author, Lawrence Hill. It's called The Book of Negroes. In the US, Australia, and New Zealand it is called Someone Knows my Name. One of my favs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you read any of the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo books?? The beginning of the first book is a little slow moving, with lots of back story, but beyond that the stories move very quickly. Fast paced and exciting and suspenseful (for some reason that does not look spelled correctly to me today!) I'm glad to hear about The Help, I have it on my Nook, and just haven't been in the mood to start reading it...

    Your quilt is just stunning! I love the bright bold colors against the gray and tan, awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your new TT top! I like how you incorporated two Kona. You chose great pattern to use your TT stash.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG The Help was amazing. I grew up in the South so that may have impacted my appreciation for it. What an incredible grasp of the subtle ups and downs of race relations among women in the south during this time. Plus, it's very entertaining anyway. Gossip, scandal, etc. I couldn't stop thinking about it long after I finished it. Highly, highly recommend.

    I also recommend The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins, The Girl With the Dragon Tatoo trilogy, Eat Pray Love (you've probably already read it), Talk Before Sleep by Elizabeth Berg, and The Queen's Fool by Philippa Gregory. Almost all avail in paperback.

    Happy reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really liked your first 2 quilts from this range but love this one. I am so impressed that you paper pieced it. I have just read "The Help" and really enjoyed it. The last book I re-read (which means I really liked it) is The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. My top 3 of all time (or the last few years anyway) are Rebecca by Daphne de Maurier, To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee and The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenberger.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just had to stop by because I love your quilt!

    Some of these books are on my TBR list or piled up by my bedside.

    I'd got with The Time Travellers Wife recommendation by Audrey Niffenger - "Her Fearful Symmetry" is good too.

    Check out Linda Gillard too because she's a Scottish author that just happens to quilt...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic color choices - the monochrome background colors really make this wonderful! I love it and I've pinned it to my "Quilty Goodness" board on Pinterest (with proper credit, of course!). Feel free to follow me if you'd like: http://pinterest.com/lipglass/quilty-goodness/

    Also, have you read anything by Ann Patchett? I particularly love her writing style. I'd start with Bel Canto, THe Magician's Assistant, or The Patron Saint of Liars. I also recently found myself liking several quick reads by Jodi Picoult.

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10