Monday 16 July 2012

The Camelot Quilt (again)

The Camelot Quilt is proving the best 'take anywhere' project to do when little moments of free time present themselves.

This one is Block 14



Block 11


And Block 10


I've received quite a few questions on the Camelot Quilt so these are my thoughts so far:

  • They are neither difficult nor easy to do
  • Someone who has already made the quilt said in the Flickr group that you should just take it one stitch at a time and that is the best advice. If you look at it like that, the block gets done slowly but surely
  • I wouldn't even begin to attempt these on a sewing machine - you can fudge better by hand and the pieces slot together more easily too
  • Pin, pin, pin and pin again. Especially important if, like me, you eyeballed the 1/4" seam allowance as you cut the pieces out
  • I didn't spend much time agonising over colours/fabrics for each block. All I've done is whack a bit of text fabric in each block for continuity and then tried to get a pleasing mix of colours. That said I've consciously left out bright red and purple because as I've gone along I didn't feel they would look right
  • I am changing my mind on a daily basis as to what I should pick as the background fabric. Today I am feeling a black and white, yesterday I got excited about this fabric and tomorrow I'll probably think differently. I think I should wait for all the blocks to be finished before making my final decision
  • It feels a great sense of achievement to finish each block. But it's a once only sense of achievement so at the end of this, I'll give the pattern away on this blog

14 comments:

  1. These are amazing! Every one a gem! So far I'd pick #10 as my fav- love that yellow tape measure fabric and the map fabric. Text fabrics make me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are all gorgeous! Wow!! :o) Love all of the fabrics, too. The colors look great. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way that you put fabrics together. You definitely inspire me to change the way I buy fabric jut a bit. Your blocks are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well you are inspiring me to get my apttern out but it`s the template cutting that has stopped me. Perhaps I shall have another go. Your blocks look lovely together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are so impressive! I especially love block 10 and I have yet to try anything so detailed, someday!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, they're fabulous! I love the way they're all really different but have a unifying sense of style - very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love your blocks they look great.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the way you just go for a crazy selection of fabrics and it works! Keep it up Alison and yes I'd love to have a go!

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10