Sunday 22 July 2012

The Camelot Quilt (technically there but not quite)

I pushed on and was left with no option but to tackle the trickier blocks.

This one is Block 5 and I managed to piece the circle into the middle rather than using the applique.



Then Block 9 with lots of fiddly, tiny pieces.


Block 7 which isn't the prettiest inset circle but I did it and that is enough for me at the moment.


But I must have learnt something because Block 2 had two inset circles and I'm really happy with how this one turned out.


And finally, Block 4, which has a whole Flickr post devoted to it because others have found it tricky with the really tight Y seams. I did too and again, it's not perfect but I think I gave up on perfection abut the second block on so again, it will do. Plus, when it's all made up and washed you won't be able to tell which wrinkles are 'washed' wrinkles and which are 'not quite perfect' wrinkles.

So goes my theory.

It has been a huge learning curve (no pun intended) and has at times taken me way out of my quilting comfort zone but it's good to do that from time to time.


So that makes all 16 blocks.

However, big girl pants have arrived, almost got them on and then I shall start tackling four new blocks to make it up to a 20 block rectangular shaped quilt which I much prefer.

In the meantime, here are all 16 blocks.


19 comments:

  1. I am amazed and impressed with the speed and skill that you have made these. The finished quilt will be fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kudos to you for getting this far - loving the wrinkle-theory; I'm off for a shower, to see if it works!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The blocks look great together. What are you using as the background fabric?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful! You certainly are fearless. And the wrinkle philosophy rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is going to be a stunning quilt. Love your choice of fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, they are wonderful! And your circles just get better and better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. they really are amazing - I am so impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay, well done! I love the scrappy colour combo you've kept with this quilt, it's going to keep the eye moving endlessly. Good luck with the big girl pants :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This reminds me of the Arrowhead crossing one you said you'd never do again--but then that was paper piecing and this is hand piecing. Either way, you've chosen a ridiculously hard piecing method and made it look easy. I am always inspired by your fabric choices!
    Oh, and I know you like the Violet Craft Peacock print, but have you seen her Madrona Road Memoir print? OOhh, drroooolworthy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You seem to have been zipping through these and they do look amazing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're very brave! They look so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  12. well done you, they look great and you must be nuts to have tried them
    (but I secretly wish I had) I am still struggling with .New york beauty

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am awed by these beauties - numbers 7 and 4 are my favourites :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have so loved following your progress! I've just completed my first Mariner's Compass and am frozen with fear on how to proceed. I shall take my cue from you!

    Take care, Byrd

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ahhhhhh! These are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well done for getting them all made so quickly - they look wonderful and I look forward to seeing your choice of background fabric. I have long adhered to the wrinkle theory but never voiced it aloud! Good for you for being so brave.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely blocks! They do look really hard - good for you for tackling them :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am particularly loving that bottom left hand one but they all look great ! Can't wait to see what you do with your own blocks - great challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, they're amazing! I love your wrinkle theory - I think I'm going to adopt it!

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10