Friday 9 March 2012

Cypress trees anyone?

Or pots in a bazaar.

Or maracas.

Or wrapped up sweeties.

All suggestions for what the pattern in this quilt looked like.


I just saw it as a good way to go wild with random scraps of fabric; not caring if they matched or not as I felt using the solid cream would calm things down.


I didn't baste this one. All I did was put the backing fabric on the floor, put the batting on next, then the quilt top. I gathered the three layers up and then used my hand-quilting hoop to secure the middle of the quilt, this immediately providing a taut surface.  I then hand-quilted the inner outline of the coloured shapes, moving the hoop around as I did so, to keep the surface continually tight and flat.


That was accomplished over a couple of evenings. Then, once the whole quilt was secure, I machine quilted the rest of it. On the plain beige I echoed the shapes and on the coloured fabrics it was the well honed technique of pedal to the metal and go mad.

Back is some cuddly flannel spliced between a regular quilting weight cotton.


I can thoroughly recommend the ruler used to make this quilt and have absolutely nothing to gain by mentioning it.

 I just think if something is a good idea you should share it.


Onwards and upwards to the next quilt now...
Oh and it's Finish It Up Friday over at Amanda Jean's

32 comments:

  1. This looks amazing! I can't believe you didn't baste it at all - anything I tried that way would be a hot mess for sure. My ruler came yesterday - now I'm super psyched to get started using it. I love her fancy nine-patches, too. Where to begin???!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks fab! I thought wine goblets when I first saw it but now you've said Maracas, I'm seeing those as they tie in nicely with the carnival vibe of this beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look like 70's lamps to me.

    After seeing all of the amazing things you have done with that ruler I am totally sold! Beautiful work!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's beautiful! Nice pattern to show off the prints! I just received my ruler & can't wait to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooo, gorgeous. I actually have this ruler already on order...! Yippee!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you start a curved ruler trend because this is too spectacular not to be the next hit quilt! Love!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is honestly sooo cute and FUN!! Love how all the fabrics look together, and I can't help but see "maracas". :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can tell it is a Friday because I was right with Jan - wine glasses stacked one upon the other for me too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This quilt turned out so great! I love the fabrics you chose and love the pictures of it outside..it really shows off the colors! And thanks again ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun quilt, it turned out delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. lovely maracas quilt!!
    or..tennis rackets?

    ReplyDelete
  12. The first thing I thought when I saw the quilt was lava lamps... but now that someone mentioned it, they definitely look like stacked wine glasses. Regardless its a wonderful quilt... Awesome job!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would call it wonderful x... and well travelled xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE this quilt---the colors and everything!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this quilt and I especially love the outdoor setting it was photographed in!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love how you can take fabric that, on its own, is nothing special, and then turn it into something that looks so cohesive. Well done once again!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Me too - I see maracas! Great quilt - love the idea of basting it with hand stitching - basting is my least favourite bit of the process but essential. May have to give it a go!

    Haven't tested the ruler out yet but soon I hope!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It`s so beautiful - I cannot wait for my ruler to arrive! You have done such an amazing job.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Totaly maracas!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love it and I have already ordered the cool ruler. To me it looks like a bunch of stacked wine glasses full of colourful drinks or maracas at some sort of summer festival or something. It is a very happy quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That's such a cheery mix of fabrics, I really love it! Jenny's patterns are so creative.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is awesome! You did a wonderful job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks great, I am so impressed you did that without basting too. (not sure when you changed it but I really like the layout and look of your blog)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love how this quilt came out & love your pillow from the QAL using Jenny's ruler. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love your quilt! And love your idea to use flannel combined with cotton! Genius!

    Your colors are so beautiful-they just explode!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love this, love the randomness of the colors. My kind of quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think maracas! This quilt is so awesome that I want to invite it to my Cinco De Mayo party as a guest! Excellent colors, etc!
    Ole!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Fun and fresh ,and just a happy quilt.Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  29. First thing I thought of was wine glasses and I don't drink!

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10