Saturday 8 March 2014

Soy Amado No. 7

Another cracker don't you think?



Look at the machine quilting on this one.


And the derriere



But the best picture of all is this one.


The quilts arriving in their new home in Mexico City.

There are more pictures to come but it is a picture like this that is keeping me going, assembling all the quilt blocks into quilts.

I hope if you are still undecided whether to help ((over 2,000 views of my original post now) this will tip the balance!

If you are in the US and want to send blocks and want to save on postage please contact Leila in Iowa for her snail mail address. You can mail your blocks to her with a $1 or $2 contribution towards postage and then she'll mail me the one package.

In you are in Canada and want to send blocks and save on postage please email Kristie in Winnipeg for her address. They do things differently in that part of the world so she'd like a 'toonie' enclosed with your blocks to help with postage costs ;-)

If you are in Australia and want to save on postage, email me for an Oz address to send to, enclosing AUD $3 to help with postage costs.

If you're feeling flush you can send completed single sized bed quilts to an address in the Netherlands which I can give you.

Rest of the world people, blocks to be sent to me. My email is on the side bar.

Phew - think that covers everything!



****

I've also been meaning to mention last weekend, when I attended a Philippa Naylor two day workshop which covered fmq, trapunto and cording. I've done quite a few quilting related workshops over the years and I have to say she ranks right up there at the top, if not the best.  If you get a chance to take a class with her do - her schedule is on her website and I know she is teaching at three different venues in the US this year as well as several spots in the UK. The details are on her website.

She had some really insightful things to say about threads and why she uses them (polyester) and her preferred needles for fmq - microtex. I think it's sometimes very easy to get swept up in whatever quilters are talking about on social media (much of which is influenced by link ups with the brands themselves) and think 'that must be the thing to use' but to spend two days with an absolute pro and listen to their reasons behind their quilt choices was hugely inspiring and a real eye opener.

My only advice when taking a workshop with someone as at the top of their game as Philippa is to make sure you have cleaned your machine thoroughly before taking it along. I had a tension issue so she opened my bobbin housing up and I would be lying if I didn't admit it looked like something was nesting in there and that I felt ever so slightly sheepish.


Sarah at Quilt Candy did a nice write up about it if you want to read and see more. Off the back of the workshop I bought Philippa's book which I can also recommend. It has some droolworthy pics of her fmq and trapunto. You can also Google 'Philippa Naylor' and then click on 'Images' for some fab inspiration.








25 comments:

  1. Wooooweeee, another gorgeous one! thank you for showing my block off! ;-) i have just bought some fabric to go on the back of some other blocks I have planned for you!!!
    Hope to send those out within two weeks.
    Hugs
    Esther
    esthersipatchandquilt at yahoo com
    ipatchandquilt dot wordpress dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! I am writing another blogpost about your block drive. I am using some of the pictures from this post. Is that okay?
      Hugs,
      Esther
      esthersipatchandquilt at yahoo com
      ipatchandquilt dot wordpress dot com

      Delete
  2. The quilts turned out so bright en colorful, childre will love that a lot! Great to see how welcome they are in Mexico. You do such great job, again,my compliments for that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a gorgeous picture. It is inspiring me to make quilts for the children I know here in Indonesia who have so very very little. Something special just for them. It overwhelms me thinking about all the work but if I just think about it one block at a time it will be slow and steady :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another fabulous quilt! It’s great to see the pictufre of the quilt at the Mexican home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yea - what a fab photo of the quilt being put on the bed! The workshop sounds great - one day I always say to myself! And no mention of Aurifil or any other well known brand *cough*

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so lovely to see the picture of the quilts arriving. With no pictures on the walls (that I can see), they will certainly cheer that room up and the fact that they are all so individual just makes the whole thing worthwhile. Well done you! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing the photo of the quilt going on the bed, I am going to send some blocks to Kristie next. I just ordered the quilting book, and I have a bunch of different new threads to try. The long armers do seem to prefer the polyester threads too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely to see a quilt on a bed! I'm booked on a Phillipa Naylor workshop next year so am interested to hear you enjoyed it so much. I'll make sure I spring clean my machine before I go!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's wonderful to see the first of the quilts it situ... number seven is another stunner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! typo! "in" not "it" ...

      Delete
  10. I love seeing the finished quilt in Mexico. Can't wait to see the rest of the pictures from there. Having a couple of addresses in North America will probably help to encourage more quilters to send blocks. It wasn't crazy expensive to send two blocks to you from the Seattle area in the US (under $14) but it's always good to have options. Great project, Alison.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I found that picture of the quilt going on the bed very moving. I'm collecting blocks from some local NZ quilters to send your way :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was so great to see the quilt popping up on IG being laid out on the bed. You're doing great stuff and I see blocks popping up all over the place now. Hope they keep rolling in!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much for the update. I, too, love #7. They are all just so cheerful! I have 19 blocks completed and about 10 more waiting to be quilted and trimmed. I don't think I can stop after that, but I don't want to wait too long before sending them off to you. I just figure the postage for sending two packages versus one would be a fair bit more expensive, coming from the western U.S. BRAVO on a brilliant project Alison! You are doing a really good thing, and giving us all a chance to help!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I enjoy looking at all the quilts you have put together, I particularly like the picture with the quilt laying on the bed, thanks for sharing all these pictures with us, awe-inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  15. good to see the quilts taking shape, and I spotted my 2 blocks in this one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great to see the quilts starting to arrive.
    Saw Phillipa's work at Loch Lomond a couple of years ago - beyond amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Laughing at the bobbin incident. I clean my machine fairly regularly but bet I would have been caught out too. Well done you on another quilt finished too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful to see the first quilt on a bed...well done, you, for pulling all the threads together. I love the new Spring photos in your header. Daffodils make me homesick and scotties make me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh that's so wonderful that the quilts have arrived in Mexico! And great news, I found 2 blocks that I made ages ago lurking in with my fabrics, so now I've no excuse to get them quilted up and sent to you! (Forgive me if it's not immediately but they will wing their way to you soonish, I promise.) Wasn't Philippa wonderful, such a fab and knowledgeable teacher, and you're so right, she would tell us the reasons for her preferences too, which is so important. And I was so glad to get to meet you. Thanks for linking to my blog :-))

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am just reading about this wonderful charity quilt effort for the first time today. Hope it's not too late to join in. I'll send some blocks to Leila!

    ReplyDelete
  21. this is so excellent of you - I am going to devote some time each week to blocks. I really want to know that children are warmed under our love!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That photo is wonderful - I bet the little one whose bed that is was thrilled at bedtime! It's always interesting to hear about thread preferences - I like Aurifil (I first used it a few years ago and thought it was wonderful but couldn't remember where I had bought it from and didn't think to Google UK stockists...no idea why! The social media coverage has just helped me to find suppliers.) and Coats cotton (sold at my LQS). I've been using 'piecing weight' thread for hand/machine piecing/quilting for some years now as the colours are better than in most 'quilting' threads. I also like the thread that I won in your Empress Mills giveaway and I like Gutermann. In fact, it seems I like most threads but usually stick to cotton for quilts and polyester for clothes. Maybe I need to rethink that!

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10