Friday 13 January 2012

A bunch of bags

I'm always interested in bag patterns.

Can never have too many bags.

And I kept seeing this one popping up all over the place.


A look at the Flickr group for how others had interpreted this bag convinced me to hit the 'pay' button to get the pattern and I'm thoroughly glad I did. In one afternoon I managed to crank out not one, not two but three of these bags.

This one lives here now.

Although the pattern doesn't call for it, I used home decor weight fabric on all the bags as I wanted them to be fairly stiff and resilient. With this bag I also backed each fabric piece with interfacing.


Bag lined with regular quilters cotton weight fabric.


I also top-stitched around the edge of the bag which wasn't mentioned in the pattern but which I think adds to the finish and also keeps the lining from peeking out.



On this bag I used fusible fleece to back each piece of fabric and then I used a velveteen to line it. This has made for the sturdiest of the three bags.


The pattern had instructions for fabric made handles but I skipped that as I had a roll of cotton webbing (2 inch wide) which you can pick up for a reasonable price. I've also used jute webbing in the past if you want a more rustic look.


All in all, a bag pattern to be recommended and an afternoon well spent.

Linking up to Amanda Jean's Finish It Up Friday.

14 comments:

  1. These look great! I love this pattern, too, and the fabric you chose is awesome. I also really like the cotton webbing for the handles-- I have to remember that for next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous bags! A great size too! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. These lovelies put my ancient, stained cloth grocery bags to shame :) Might be time for some new ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great bags and you're right about the top stitching - it makes a world of difference!

    ReplyDelete
  5. An afternoon well spent! I feel the same about bags...never too many!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great bags!
    I love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great bags, love the fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Am loving that third one!

    I do love a good bag and use them to store projects so may have to give this a go!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are wonderful bags and I like the fact that you could make them so quickly. They would make nice xmas gifts filled with neat stuff. I will see if I can find the pattern!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been eyeing this bag. Thanks for the review! Love the polka dot one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great bags! I love the fabric and the combinations you used! Especially the one with numbers and city names. Where did you get that?

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10