Friday 6 January 2012

Modern Whimsy part II

This time I took the 'Meadow' colourway from Laurie Wisbrun's Modern Whimsy line and passed them through a Go! Baby cutter using the 4 and 7/8" triangle shape and came up with this:


It went together fairly quickly. As well as the Modern Whimsy prints I also used the following Kona solids: Kiwi and Sour Apple, (both green) Cayenne (burnt brownish red) , Melon (pink), Canary (yellow) and Rich Red (kind of self-explanatory). I also used the Rich Red for the binding.


I quilted it using a yellow Aurifil thread, either side of the seam lines. For the border I started off pebble quilting and then got bored. So I pebble quilted either side of two diagonally opposite corners and squiggle wiggled around the rest of the border which is where it went slightly wrong.

I switched to a variegated Aurifil thread for the squiggling bit and my machine did not like the variegated thread one bit. It clanked, it clattered, it sounded like it was taking its last gasp.
Switched back to the plain yellow thread. It was fine. No idea why.


For the back, I just took the triangle pieces that were left over, cut them in half again and then sewed them back together in a random fashion.


I then added in strips of the Kona solids as well as two of the Modern Whimsy prints.

Just got to sew a label on, then it is being squished into an envelope and making its way to start its new life with a newborn in the Netherlands.

Linking up to Amanda Jean's Finish It Up Friday

22 comments:

  1. Oh, I love both of these modern whimsy quilts! I love the solids on this one. You were busy over your break!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful. I love the warm colours and pattern. It's new owner will love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. stunning! i love that fabric line you really did it justice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo, fabulous baby quilt present. Love the shots of colour in it. Bet that is treasured!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun and colourful baby quilt. Also reminds me of juicy picnics in the summer! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. love these colors!!!!! also I like the quilting choices you used around the border. so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is SO cute :-) are you in the netherlands? what a nice gift

    ReplyDelete
  8. Terrific! Fun, bright and cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the colors - especially the red and green - my favs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sooooo pretty! I love the way you quilted it. So beautiful. Yea you!! Gorgeous work as always!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a great quilt - that's one lucky baby!!! I love the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness. I adore your quilt! :o) It is so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Easy as that!
    Shame about the variagated clatter - I can offer no suggestions x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love that green sashing! It reminds me of my grandma in the best way!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh wow! A gorgeous reversible quilt - both front and back are stunning! I love your quilting too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fab fabrics - it is really bright and cheerful - lucky newborn I say! Oh and love those sheep!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the color and the quilting. Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is a very cheerful quilt, I love it.

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10