Tuesday 17 June 2014

The Horners are in the house

I finally got around to making my Sew Mama Sew winner her cushion cover.

Megan had requested 'you' and 'scrappy' which were about the best two words anyone could have used as I felt it gave me free rein to just go off and do my own thing.

As luck would have it, she is a bit of an Anna Maria Horner fan so I based the cushion cover on some fussy cuts from AMH's latest line - Pretty Potent as well as fabric from Juliana Horner, Denyse Schmidt and other bits and bobs I've long since forgotten the names of.

This is what I came up with.



It's made up of four 'Cheddar Cheese' blocks which finish at 9" each.



It's made up of just three templates. I love blocks that a) give you a secondary design when laid next to each other and b) lend themselves to some fussy cutting.

Despite an inset seam or two, the blocks are not hard to assemble and when it comes to joining the four blocks together, it's much quicker to switch to the sewing machine.

I bought my template set from Material Obsession when I visited at Easter. They don't appear to be available on the MO website but I'm sure if you asked they could sort a set out for you.

It's also worth taking a look at Timquilts where he's done a post about the Cheddar Stars block.

For the back, I continued the AMH theme with a velveteen print hiding a concealed zipper.



The quilting is done with my walking foot using a smoke coloured monofilament thread with a small all-over grid pattern.

I'm really pleased with how it's turned out and it now starts its long journey to its new home in New Zealand.


21 comments:

  1. Lucky winner! This cushion is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your cushion. So bright and cheerful which will brighten a winter's day in NZ. Lucky winner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that's one fabulous prize. I'm sure it'll be cherished!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was wondering how you made those blocks! Lucky, lucky winner :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pretty! Such a lucky winner! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Melbourne friend Meredithe at "Pomegrante and Chintz" makes those templates! (You can just make out her name in the lower corner of your photo!) I love how you have fussy cut the Echinacea print- perfect! And what a fun name- Cheddar Cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful pillow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely. Inset seams scare me - so far!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this! Your fabrics are wonderful with this template.:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lucky winner! This is gorgeous and I love the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lucky Megan! It’s such an awesome gift!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely gorgeous. Love the fussy cutting too. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. You make such lovely pillows!!! Wonderful - simply wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your cushion is gorgeous! Thank you for using my templates! So wonderful to see them being made up. Cheers, Meredithe

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's a gorgeous cushion and I love the look of those templates!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This pillow is so lovely! I love how you used the prints. In very interesting way!

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10